Thursday, January 19, 2012

Really slow and reasonably steady

Thats how things have been with Olivia the past two days. We have finally seen her stop getting worse and now they are weaning some of the settings on her oscillating ventilator. The hope is in the next day or two she will be well enough to move to the other ventilator. From there the progression is: getting off of the ventilator onto some kind of additional oxygen, then moved to a regular floor, then getting off the additional oxygen, then home. The timing is anyone's guess-- including the dr.'s. We not only have to allow time for her to be able to breath on her own again, but to eat again (she is getting fat and sugar through her IV), have regular bowel movements, and get her off all those sedatives. Thats what I mean by really slow. We will not be home with Livi for quite some time now, but are SO encouraged by her progress, small though it may be. Thanks so much for your prayers and support. We will be needy and ask you continue those prayers. We are still not even close to out of the woods.

Meanwhile, we are still trying to have some kind of semblance of a life at home. Last week during the 60 degree weather I took Gabby on her very first walk. It was especially important because my best friend, Maggie, just had her daughter Abby (yes I know, Gabby and Abby) two weeks after Gabs was born. Here they are together bundled up in their matching hats my incredible mother made for them. Thanks, mom!

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Keys! It's Andrea, Olivia's speech therapist from school. I had a chance to look at your blog updates. It looks like you've been VERY busy lately. Gabby is sure a cutie! I'd like to come visit Olivia at the hospital soon. Let me know when you will be there. Saturdays and Sundays are good days for me. Other days are hit and miss based on my job appointments. You can email me at abennion@ccvi.org to let me know what would be a good time to visit. I'll definitely keep her in my prayers! Andrea

    ReplyDelete